Wednesday 7 May 2014

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“She had never imagined that the kiss would be so brief and desperate and wild. Or that it would taste of holy water. Holy water and blood.”

In my opinion the best thing about Cassandra Clare's stories are her characters, i fell in love with the gang from The Mortal Instruments series. (especially Jace!) This story was no different, this is the first book in her The Infernal Devices series. Where she yet again she creates a world of magic, wonder, love, and mystery. Each of Clare's characters are well developed, with their own individual characteristics, personality's and backgrounds. Each one is so well created you either love them, or love to hate them. None is left without a story, each is as equally rounded and believable as if she's just picked them up off the pages of a history book.

“They're still looking at him.... At Will..."
"Of course they are.... Look at him. The face of a bad angel and eyes like the night sky in Hell.”


One simply does not just read one of Clare's books, you live them weather it's as simple as reading with Tessa or on some crazy hilarious adventure with Will or suffering through the illness with Jem. Each moment your living it with them, the worlds are so well developed along with the characters it's like a HD film playing in your head.

“Look at him. The face of a bad angel and eyes like the night sky in Hell. He's very pretty, and vampires like that. I can't say I mind either.”

I absolutely adore Will. Outstandingly beautiful, incredibly hilarious with his razor sharp tongue and wit yet he's a tortured soul who even though he may not seem it is incredibly selfless. Each time he graces a page with his presence this book works it's way deeper into my heart. I loved Jace now Will, safe to say i have a thing for the Herondales. If you don't then there's something seriously wrong with you. ;)

“She looked up at him with a smile. The smile broke what was left of his resistance - shattered it. He had let the walls down when he'd thought she was gone, and there was no time to build them back up. Helplessly he pulled her against him. For a moment she clung to him tightly, warm and alive in his arms. Her hair brushed his cheek. The color had come back into the world; he could breathe again, and for that moment he breathed her in - she smelled of salt, blood, tears, and Tessa.”

Set in Victorian era, London, the setting is perfect with it's steam-punk vibe. The world is so well described if i closed my eyes i could see Clare's London from the institute to the Devil Tavern on the back of my eyelids.

“I had such plans for this evening. The pursuit of blind drunkenness and wayward women was my goal. But alas, it was not to be. No sooner had I consumed my third drink in the Devil than I was accosted by a delightful small flower selling child who asked me for twopence for a daisy. The price seemed steep, so I refused. When I told the girl as much, she proceeded to rob me.”
“A little girl robbed you?” Tessa said.
“Actually, she wasn’t a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress with a penchant for violence, who goes by the name of Six-Fingered Nigel.”


The story is as high paced and enthralling as Clare's usual, this is my second time reading this book and i devoured it as if starved. I can re-read Clare's books over and over, this is one of my all time favorite series which i know i will carry on to enjoy for a long while yet.

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

No truer words were spoken.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment